Causes of Hair Fall after Delivery & Tips to Prevent it
Pregnancy is a time when your body will witness a massive spike in the levels of oestrogen. And this increase in oestrogen levels also stimulates hair growth while keeping hair loss to a minimum. This surge stimulates the growth of extra hair while at the same time preventing normal hair loss. While that’s a great thing, it only serves to disappoint. Why? Well, post-delivery, the oestrogen levels drop back down to normal and this leads to rapid hair fall after delivery, in a very short span of time. The sudden contrast from pre to post-delivery can really affect confidence and self-esteem.
Two months post the delivery of your bundle of joy is when you really start to notice it. And when hair loss after delivery occurs, it is essential you don’t panic (although easier said than done); stress can worsen the condition. Even when there is no pregnancy on the cards, women tend to lose an average of about 100 strands a day but these hairs are replaced on a continuous basis. Pregnancy is one of those phenomena wherein you stop losing those 100-odd strands a day plus hair growth is at an all-time high. Unfortunately this good phase only lasts till the delivery after which all the strands that you did not lose over the past 9 months begin to fall in addition to the average 100 strands a day of hair loss. The medical term for this particularly dreadful yet solvable condition is called telogen effluvium. This condition can kick in right after pregnancy or much later when you stop breastfeeding. Patience is the key to dealing with this because the condition takes an average of 6 months to subside.
If you’re freaking out already, don’t!
6 Ways To Minimize Hair Fall After Pregnancy:
- Live life healthy. It is essential that you eat hearty meals and also supplement it with pre-natal vitamins.
- It is best that you avoid using shampoo too often than you need to. And when you do shampoo, use a mild, nourishing conditioner that complements your shampoo. Pantene Pro-V Silky Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner is a mild, nourishing shampoo that makes your hair soft and shiny!
- Always use a wide-toothed comb. This type of comb helps gently detangle your hair without causing any damage.
- To minimize hair loss it is also essential that you pick a hairstyle that causes minimal stress and damage on your tresses. Tight hairstyles and elastic/rubber bands are a strict no-no.
- Until this phase abates it is best that you steer clear ofprocedures and treatments like highlighting, perming and straightening. Naturally, this means you should avoid curling and flat irons as well as blow dryers like the plague.
- It is important to have patience and not panic but it also important to consult a doctor if your gut tells you that the hair loss is a bit excessive. It could also be a symptom of a bigger problem.
And most importantly, be really, really gentle with your tresses!
Also, check out these tips to follow in your daily hair care routine to prevent hair fall here at Reward Me.
Read expert hair care tips here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.