10 Ways To Resist Food Cravings During Pregnancy
The trick to resisting food cravings during your pregnancy is to outsmart them.
Pregnancy and food cravings go hand in hand. Which is why, fighting the urge to eat junk food is extremely difficult with your hormones giving you a tough time. But with these 10 simple tips, you will be able to overcome your need for junk food & other food cravings during pregnancy.
1. Never skip breakfast: Breakfast like a king is the way to go! After all, when you start your day with the right kind and amount of nutrition, you have enough fueland are less likely to feel hungry later on.
2. Eat often: Don’t wait to get hungry to eat. Instead, plan small meals through the day and you will be less likely to binge on junk food. Ideally, eat 4-6 small meals at regular intervals.
3. Exercise regularly: Exercise puts you in a good mood and helps keep your hormones in control. Staying active is the best way to curb those unwanted hunger pangs. It also gives you a positive outlook and prevents emotional eating.
4. Seek support: With your hormones at play and your moods in full swing, you might be tempted to reach out for that candy bar. Deal with the temptation by speaking to a close friend.
5. Think small: If you are unable to fight the urge, practice portion control. Take a small plate of chips instead of eating from the bag or break a tiny piece of chocolate and keep away the rest of the bar.
6. Snack healthy: Plan healthy snacks well in advance. When you get hungry, you are most likely to reach out for something unhealthy if you don’t have healthy foods to eat during pregnancy. Always keep fruits, nuts and other delicious yet nutritious munchies handy!
7. Stock smart: While at the supermarket, pick the things that will contribute to good health, like fruits and vegetables. When your house is stocked with nutrient-rich food you will automatically eat healthy.
8. Throw out the junk: The best way to avoid junk food is by keeping it as far away from your reach as possible. You are less likely to eat junk food if it’s not in your cupboard or fridge.
9. Look up healthy recipes: When you plan your meals, make every meal exciting and delicious by experimenting with new recipes and flavours. When you enjoy your food and it completely satiates you, you will feel less hungry after. Also, check out 21 foods to avoid during pregnancy here.
10. Substitute like a pro: Have a fruit when you crave something sweet instead of a piece of cake. When you feel like having a can of cola, have a glass of fruit juice instead. Always ensure you substitute processed food with natural, healthy alternatives.
While fighting food cravings during pregnancy is easier said than done, when you condition your mind to think about the payoffs of staying off junk food and focus on the positives of eating healthy, you will want to eat clean.