If your menstrual cycle keeps varying and lasts longer than 35 or more days, you’ve got irregular periods. But before you hit the panic button and speed dial your gynaec for more information on how to get regular periods, pause for a moment to consider these highly effective home remedies. Click here to know more on how to check pregnancy at home without kit.
What Are The Causes Of Irregular Periods?
Some of the major causes of irregular periods are puberty, menopause, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding etc.
1. Puberty: During puberty, the body undergoes major changes and it can take several years for hormones to reach the balance and hence irregular periods is common problem during this time.
2. Contraceptive pills: When women first consumes contraceptive pill, she may experience small amount of bleeding which is lighter than normal periods. It usually disappears after few months.
3. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): One of the major symptoms of PCOS are irregular periods or no periods at all. This is because, ovulation may not take place normally for women suffering from PCOS.
4. Thyroid Disorders: Thyroid disorders can cause irregular periods as thyroid gland produces hormones that affect body’s metabolism.Apart from these some other to mention are pregnancy, menopause, cervical cancer, miscarriage etc.
10 Home Remedies for Irregular Periods
1. Get your hands on some sesame seeds and jaggery!
Sesame seeds do a fantastic job of regulating your periods as they are filled with lignans that control excess hormones. Dry roast and grind a few sesame seeds along with a teaspoon of jaggery until it resembles a fine powder. Eat this every day during the second half of your cycle.
2. Sink your teeth into a raw papaya!
Raw papaya is one of the most delicious and effective home remedies for irregular periods. Loaded with nutrients, this fruit helps by easing muscle fibre contractions and soothing your uterine walls. Have a bowl of raw papaya cubes for breakfast every morning. If the taste puts you off, you can always douse it in yoghurt and slurp away!
3. Spice it up with some ginger!
Apart from helping with menstrual cramps, ginger is quite the saviour when it comes to irregular periods. Add a teaspoon of ground ginger to water, boil it for 5-7 minutes, and sprinkle some sugar on top. Drink this after every meal.
4. Try some Turmeric powder!
Turmeric is a warming herb, which is what makes it a great one to have in your arsenal while battling menstrual problems. Not only does it help balance your hormones, it also gives your menstrual flow the much needed nudge to start. Moreover, it helps with menstrual pain. Spoon turmeric powder into a glass of milk. Have this daily.
5. Grab a cinnamon stick a day, keep the period woes away!
Like an irate swimming coach dealing with a snivelling kid on a diving board, cinnamon gives your menstrual flow the push it needs to start. It also helps with menstrual pain. Warm a glass full of milk and add a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon. Drink this daily.
6. Give fennel seeds a shot
Soak fennel seeds in water overnight and use a strainer to separate the seeds from the water the next morning. Drink this water every day.
7. Juice up some parsley
Parsley is filled with apiol, which is known for regulating periods. Toss some coriander and parsley into the blender and add some sugar to the juice for a healthier cycle.
8. Sweeten it up with sugarcane juice
One of the most common menstrual remedies is drinking sugarcane juice. Devour a glass before the week your cycle starts.
9. Force down some bitter gourd juice
Very few people actually enjoy eating bitter gourd but, as nasty as it may be, it is a highly effective remedy. Juice up some bitter gourd in a blender and drink it twice a day.
10. Glug some grape juice
Whether you want to snack on grapes throughout the day or just drink grape juice once or twice, this remedy is a great one for regular periods.
So, ladies, there you have it! Any of the remedies listed above will certainly help you. However, it’s important to note that you should always consult your doctor to figure out what causes irregular periods to rule out any hidden problems.
Pro-Tip: It is always a good idea to be prepared for anything. Whisper Ultra Clean sanitary napkins are good quality personal hygiene product, and very easy to carry around in a bag. Carry them with you everywhere, if you have irregular periods, so as to avoid any major scares!
Read useful health tips for women here.
Check out helpful daily health tips at Reward Me and stay fit every day.