The Top 10 Worst Foods for Braces (Avoid these and you’ve won half the battle):
These are foods that are sure to get stuck in your braces and will be a veritable nightmare to extract, leading to pain and sometimes damage too. The foods on this list are also probably the most addictive kind, so you will really have to summon all the self-control you have. But hey, if you find yourself slipping just ask yourself, “You don’t want the braces to last any longer than they have to, right?”
- Hard taco shells
- Sticky and hard candy
- Corn chips
- Hard cookies or crackers
- Sticky or hard chocolate
Then there are hard foods that need to be cut up or broken before you eat them:
These are foods that should not be consumed in their natural state but can be eaten once they’ve been reduced to smaller, more convenient pieces. Read the list and you are bound to heave a huge sigh of relief because all the foods on this list are quite the appetizing kind as well. Now you know that there is a silver lining to this entire braces episode after all.
- Chewy breads such as pizza crust and bagels
- Crunchy fruits such as apples
- Crunchy vegetables such as carrots
- Difficult foods to eat, namely, corn and ribs
The Top 10 Best Foods for Braces (These are your best friends):
These are foods that will not get stuck in braces and even if they do, they can be removed just by lightly rinsing your mouth with water. You can gorge on these all you like and they won’t cause any problems for your braces. The foods on this list are actually pretty healthy and in addition to taking care of your braces, you’ll be taking care of yourself too. Seems like a win-win doesn’t it?
- Soft fruits such as grapefruit, bananas, oranges and kiwi
- Vegetables – steam until soft
- Dairy products including yoghurt and soft cheeses
- Non-tough meats such as soft-cooked chicken, turkey, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood including tuna, salmon, cod and crab cakes
- Sweet treats such as pudding, smoothies, fruit juices, jelly and ice cream
- Grains including noodles, pasta and soft-cooked rice
- Soft breads including soft tortillas, biscuits, pancakes and muffins
- Soft cooked beans
Click here to learn how you can get your braces off sooner.
Read experttips for oral health and dental carehere.