What Causes Cavities and Tooth Decay?
Tooth decay occurs when foods containing carbohydrates become trapped between teeth and are not completely removed with brushing and flossing. The plaque bacteria generate acidic by-products that eat away at the tooth enamel, slowly creating holes in the teeth called cavities. Without treatment, these holes can grow larger over time and may even destroy the whole tooth.
Signs and Symptoms of Tooth Decay and Cavities
The most common and effective treatment on tooth decay and cavities is a filling, which stops the cavity from growing any larger. So if you are experiencing any signs of tooth decay or a cavity, it is extremely important to see a dental professional immediately for treatment.
How Do You Treat and Prevent Tooth Decay and Cavities?
The most immediate form of treatment is to see your dental professional to have the cavity filled.
To help prevent tooth decay and cavities certain measures can be taken to help strengthen your teeth:
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks that feed the bacteria in your mouth.
- Brush regularly with a fluoridated toothpaste. Fluoride helps prevent cavities by slowing the breakdown of enamel and speeding up the remineralization process. The new enamel that will form is harder and more resistant to acid.
- Floss daily to help remove plaque and food particles from the spaces between your teeth where a toothbrush can’t reach. This helps promote healthy teeth as well as healthy gums.
How to Protect Your Children from Tooth Decay and Cavities
Helping to prevent tooth decay and cavities in children’s teeth starts with teaching them proper brushing habits and helping to take care of their teeth from a young age.
- Check with your dental professional to determine when you should begin using a fluoride toothpaste on your children.
- Visit their dentist every 6 months for a checkup.
- Be sure your child brushes for at least 2 minutes, twice a day. Ensure they pay extra attention to their back teeth, as that is where the most plaque buildup occurs.
- As soon as their teeth begin to touch, help them floss on a daily basis.
We recommend using Oral-B Pro-Expert All-Around Protection Fresh Mint Toothpaste treating tooth decay and cavities.
When it comes to tooth decay and cavities, a healthier mouth starts with good brushing habits.