Amla, aka Indian Gooseberry is one fruit that packs many health benefits into a really small package. It is rich in vitamin C & contains anti-oxidants, fibre and minerals like calcium and phosphorus.
Following are the 7 health benefits of Amla (Indian Gooseberry/Emblica officinalis):
- Build immunity
- Increase metabolism
- Lose weight
- Absorb nutrients like iron better
- Eliminate toxins
- Improve digestion
- Better bowel movements (fibre helps)
A lesser known fact is that amla is an effective weight loss aid. Its high fibre content helps flush out waste from the body. Protein present in amla also helps control cravings. A glass of amla juice before a meal fills you up and makes you eat less. Amla has tannic and other acids which help relieve indigestion and constipation.
A healthy digestive system means more energy from food. Including amla in the diet through food and juices will help anyone lose weight naturally and easily. Good side effects would be glowing skin, glossy hair and few health problems.
How to include amla in your everyday diet?
Drinking amla juice is the easiest way to benefit from this super food. Amla is available in plenty from December through April. You could even mix it with aloe vera juice. Add a couple of teaspoons of amla juice to fresh fruit juices for flavour.
3 Healthy Amla Juice Recipes You’ll Just Love
#1 The Rejuvenator
- Juice from 3 large amlas
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. bilva (wood apple) juice concentrate or juice from 1 fruit
- 15 gm. crushed ginger
Directions: If you are using whole fruits, press the juice out and combine in a bowl. Add 200 ml water and add salt to taste. Serve chilled.
#2 Amla Honey Shots
- 4 whole amlas, chopped coarsely (discard seeds)
- ½ tsp. star anise powder
- 1 tsp. amla crush (store bought)
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 4 tbsp. crushed ice
Directions for use:
- Combine chopped amla, the crush, star anise powder and 1 ½ cups of water in a blender.
- Strain and mix in honey.
- Serve over crushed ice in shot glasses.
#3 Plain and Pure Amla Juice
- Chop I kg amla into small pieces and discard the seeds. Put pieces in batches in a mixer and grind into a fine paste.
- Use a fine cloth and put the paste in. Squeeze tightly and extract as much juice as possible.
- Fresh juice can be refrigerated and lasts for 15 days. If you require more quantities to be preserved for a few months, add 2 tbsp. of sodium lactate for every 500 grams of juice. This will last for 8 – 10 months.
- Another option is to make ice cubes.
Amla is also best eaten as:
- Dried: Drying amla is a good way to preserve for later use. Chop and deseed amla into pieces, mix with a bit of salt and dry in the sun for a few days. Make sure it is totally dehydrated. Store in a cool, dry spot.
- Pickles: Sweet or otherwise, it still gives you all the benefits.
- Formulations: Amla extracts are included in products like triphala pills and powders. Special formulations like churnas are also available. Take the prescribed dosage for maximum benefits.
Also, check out more weight loss tips for healthy, steady and safe weight loss journey here at Reward Me.
Explore useful family wellness and health tips here at Reward Me.
Read more tips to lead a healthy lifestyle here.