Cheesy smoked salmon muffins
As tasty as its fancy finger food friend, the blini, but much easier to prepare and serve. Salmon and cream cheese is a cocktail hour classic.
Ingredients (serves 10 people)
- To cut costs you can use smoked trout instead of salmon
- 230g smoked salmon flavoured cream cheese
- 125g plain cream cheese
- 125ml cream
- 4 eggs
- 45ml cake flour
- 100g smoked salmon, cut very finely
- 45ml copped, fresh parsley or dill
- 3ml freshly ground black pepper
- 30ml lemon juice
- 15ml finely grated lemon rind
- Extra cream cheese, parsley and salmon slivers to finish with
Preheat the oven to 180ºC and grease a muffin tin well with oil. Sprinkle cake flour into the muffin hollows and shake extra flour out.
Whisk the cream cheese and cream together well. Add the eggs and whisk well.
Stir the flour in. Add the salmon, parsley (or dill), pepper, lemon juice and rind and mix well.
Spoon into the muffin hollows (fill each to three quarter) and bake for 20 minutes till firm.
Leave in the pan for ten minutes, then loosen the sides with a knife. Lift the muffins out and serve warm or at room temperature.
Garnish with a bit of cream cheese, parsley sprig and salmon strip.