Christmas all around the world: Yule log
Every nation has its unique way of celebrating Christmas with slightly different customs. But a delicious dessert is a given for all. Why not give your Christmas feast an international flavour with a delectable dish borrowed from another country. A British tradition that started with the burning of a log has transformed into a delightful dessert that resembles a log.
Ingredients (serves 10 people)
1. FOR THE CAKE:
5 eggs, separated
250ml castor sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
2. FOR THE FILLING:
2,5ml instant coffee
80ml icing sugar
3. FOR THE ICING:
30g dark chocolate
5ml vanilla essence
375ml castor sugar
45 – 60ml milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Grease a Swiss roll pan well and line it with baking paper,
grease again, and dust with flour.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in 125ml of castor
sugar until stiff peak stage and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and 125ml castor sugar until thick and pale
yellow. Mix in the cocoa and the flour. Fold in the egg whites and spread in the
4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
5. Sprinkle a cloth with additional castor sugar. Place the cake onto the sugared cloth as
soon as it comes out of the oven and roll the cake from the one side up with the towel
inside. Cool on a cooling rack.
6. For the filling: dissolve the coffee in the water. Add cream, icing sugar and the cocoa.
Beat until stiff peaks form and place in the refrigerator.
7. In a small saucepan on low heat, or in the microwave, melt the chocolate and the
butter until smooth. Cool to room temperature before adding the vanilla essence and
the castor sugar, alternating with the milk. Beat until light and fluffy.
8. When assembling, unroll the cake, remove the baking paper, spread the filling on the
inside and re-roll the cake without the cloth. Spread the frosting over to create a log
Instead of the traditional rich fruitcake, consider one of these festive recipes from faraway
Cranberry, pear & walnut torte
10. Apple strudel
Banana and mango springrolls with coconut ganache