Christmas All Around The World: Classic American Pecan Pie
Add a dash of Yankee glamour to your Christmas spread with this healthy take on the all-American classic pecan pie.
Ingredients (serves 10 people)
1. 225g nuttywheat flour
2. 15ml sugar pinch salt
3. 2 yolks
4. 175g butter, softened
5. FOR THE FILLING:
200g pecan nuts (half-whole, half-chopped)
Directions To Make Pecan Pie
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a pie dish.
2. In a mixer, combine the flour, butter, sugar, salt and butter to form a soft dough. Wrap
and leave to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile prepare the filling: heat the dates, syrup, water and butter and mush the
ingredients to a puree. Leave to cool.
4. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to the size of the pie dish, use the rolling pin
to transfer the dough to the pie dish and then press it into the corners using an off-cut
of dough. Blind bake for 15 minutes.
5. Add the eggs to the mushed date mixture and then add the chopped pecan nuts
before pouring into the baked pie case.
6. Arrange the whole pecan nuts in the mixture, then bake for 25 minutes until set. Serve
hot or at room temperature with cream or ice cream.
Instead of baking the traditional rich fruit cake, why not celebrate this Christmas with one of these festive treats from foreign lands?