Ever felt that your skin has lost its radiant glow? Or that it's feeling a little too dry (or oily)? Do you feel like in the midst of friends, work and relationships, there's absolutely no time to head to the spa for a facial? Well not to worry, you can now give yourself a fabulous facial at home. So read on, and give these facial tips at home a try.
STEP 1 : Cleanse
To prep yourself for a facial, you need to start by washing your hands. Remember, you'll be using your hands to massage and treat your face. So they must be clean. Wash them with warm water and a simple bar soap. Your hands carry germs that can lead to breakouts on your skin.
If you want to use only natural ingredients while doing a facial at home, then you can use pure honey as a face cleanser. Yes! It is not a conventional face cleanser, but it has many skin benefits and can be used for all skin types.
How to use Honey as a Face Cleanser:
- Before applying honey on your face, ensure that you have washed your face with warm water and have wiped it with a micro-fiber towel.
- Take around a tablespoon of honey and apply it on face in a circular motion.
- You can either wash it with warm water immediately or after 10 mins for a deeper cleansing activity.
STEP 2 : Tie Up Your Hair
Tie you hair back (use a hairband to hold back stray strands or bangs). You need your face to be clear of any obstructions for a through facial.
STEP 3 : Remove Your Makeup
Now we move onto cleansing your face thoroughly. You can either use natural ingredients like milk or you can go for a gentle makeup cleanser (choose the cleanser that suits your skin type best.) Use cotton balls to gently wipe off the makeup from your eyes, cheeks, lips, face and neck. Move the cotton ball in gentle circular motions. Around the eyes, be careful and use gentle strokes (don't tug at the skin!)
Again, if you want a natural makeup cleanser, coconut oil is a miracle product. It removes makeup from the skin and also makes it softer in the process.
How to Use Coconut Oil (Solid/Liquid) As a Makeup Remover
- Take a few drops of coconut oil or a scoop of solid coconut oil on a cotton ball or a muslin cloth.
- This cloth doused in coconut oil is then to be used to wipe your face gently.
- This gentle wiping will remove all the makeup without harming your sensitive skin!
STEP 4 : Exfoliate
- This is an important step. Exfoliation helps remove dead skin, reduces large pores and prevents fine lines and wrinkles.
- Spread the exfoliator on your palms and massage your skin in circular motions.
- You don't need to press the exfoliating beads into your skin, just a gentle amount of pressure is fine.
- Avoid scrubbing the exfoliator around your eyes.
- If you don't have an exfoliator, take a cup of milk and add a teaspoon of granulated sugar, this works just as well!
STEP 5 : Steam
- Take a clean washcloth and run under hot water. Place it over your face and let it rest for five minutes.
- Alternatively, you can fill a pot of water till it is boiling. Then stand with your face above the steaming water.
- Drape a cloth over your head to prevent the steam from escaping.
- You can add drops of rosemary oil to add to the cleansing process.
- Steam your face for 10-15 minutes, not more.
- If you have sensitive skin, try and avoid this step as it can exacerbate the problem.
STEP 6 : Mask
The fourth step of this process is to apply the facial mask. It is vital to choose a facial mask that suits your skin type.
For oily skin, you can try a mud or clay mask to absorb the extra oil from your skin.
For dry skin, go for a hydrating or creamy face mask.
Combination skin needs both these elements.
- Cover your face in a light mask, avoiding the areas around the eye.
- You can soothe your eyes with cucumber slices.
- After 15 minutes, wash off the mask with plenty of water and pat it try.
You must have seen in your spa visits that fruit masks are very popular as it gives the goodness of many different fruits in just one application! Learn how to make a fruit facial mask at home with the help of the following steps:
Strawberry, Papaya and Banana Fruit Facial Mask
All the three fruits are amazing for our skin – banana nourishes the skin, papaya has enzymes that help in skin exfoliation and strawberries are rich in vitamins and helps in removing excess oils from the skin. Hence this one face mask has the goodness of 3 different fruits!
- Take a tablespoon of mashed papaya, 1 tablespoon of mashed strawberries and 1 tablespoon of mashed bananas.
- Mix these all together and you can add honey to make it a gelling mash.
- You can even add oats to it to add a scrubbing ingredient in the mixture
- Take this face pack and apply a thin layer of it on your face.
- Keep it for 10-15 minutes before you wash it off with lukewarm water.
STEP 7 : Moisturise
To maintain the texture of your glossy skin, use a moisturiser after wiping off the face mask. For oily skin, you can choose a water-based or light moisturiser, while for dry skin you can use a denser cream. For sensitive skin, avoid a product with heavy fragrances or acidic ingredients. These can cause breakouts or rashes.