If you have oily skin, you know exactly what we’re talking about. Blackheads are those ugly brown spots that dot your face. They are mood and make-up spoilers that refuse to budge no matter how hard you try.
What causes blackheads?
The skin produces sebum, a natural oil which keeps it soft and moist. Butwhen dirt, grime, dead skin cells and other pollutants accumulate around open pores, it plugs them and traps sebum inside. This plug is a blackhead and starts as a brown coloured dot. The trapped sebum gets oxidised, turning the brown dot into black.If not attended to immediately, blackheads could turn into pus-filled pimples.
Blackheads usually occur on the face – in the nose area and the cheeks. This interferes with the skin’s even tone, giving it a patchy appearance.
Blackheads are stubborn, but so are you
If you were granted one wish, it would be how to get rid of blackheads fast, right?
These 6 home remedies will not only show you how to clear blackheads, but also help prevent future occurrences.
1. Baking Soda
Its antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties put baking soda at the top of the list to rid skin impurities.
- Apply a thick paste of 2-3 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of water on the blackheads, gently massaging for 3-4 minutes.
- Rinse off once dry after a few minutes.
- Repeat twice a week till skin is clear.
2. Cinnamon for Blackhead Removal
From weight loss to skincare, cinnamon has invaluable health benefits.
- Apply a thick paste of 1-2 teaspoonseach of honey and cinnamon powder before going to bed and leave overnight.
- Wash with normal water next morning.
- Continue this treatment for 10 days for best results.
3. Oatmeal Blackhead Removal Facepack
Oatmeal is a super breakfast food and works equally well on your skin when combined with other ingredients. Its exfoliating and cleansing properties are just what you need to keep blackheads away.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons honey to half cup of tomato juice and 1-2 tablespoons of oatmeal and mix well.
- Scrub your face with it and wash after 10 minutes.
- Repeat regularly for 10 days to see skin clear up.
4. Use Orange Peel to Remove Blackheads
Oranges are full of vitamin C and other nutrients which protect all skin types.
- Dry some orange peels in the sun and powder them in a mixer.
- To 2 teaspoons powder, add 3 tablespoons of rosewater and mix till a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste evenly on the affected parts and leave to dry.
- Once it dries, gently scrub it off using wet hands, then rinse your face with cold water.
- If you experience any irritation, rub an ice cube.
5. Clear Blackheads with Green Tea
One of nature’s best exfoliators for blackheads treatment is green tea. Its rich source of antioxidants makes it an effective skincare ingredient.
- Gently scrub a paste of 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves mixed with purified water for 5-6 minutes.
- This will deep cleans the oily skin and unclog the pores.
- Wash & clean with lukewarm water.
If used regularly, turmeric prevents pore clogging which allows the skin to breathe.
Turmeric works well for minor burns and is also quite commonly used to treat blackheads. Regular application of turmeric paste prevents clogging of pores which lets skin breathe.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with 2 tablespoons of neem or mint juice and apply on affected area.
- After 10 minutes, once it has dried completely, wash off with lukewarm water.
The best part is, they can be readily sourced from your kitchen and are inexpensive yet effective for instant blackhead removal. Supplement these simple tips with Olay Skincare Products to get fresh looking, glowing skin.
Read useful skin care tips here.
Learn expert beauty tips here.