Whether in laddoos or as the covering for pakoras, besan (gram flour) is a much loved ingredient in many scrumptious Indian recipes. But did you know that besan also has immense beauty benefits? Your grandma knew it, and now here’s your chance to learn how to use besan for skin that glows with health.
We’ve put together some benefits of gram flour for skin. Easy, simple and quick recipes for a glowing, radiant complexion.
11 Amazing Benefits of Besan for Skin
#1 Tan removal
Besan is really useful as a tan removal agent when applied to skin. Here's how you can use besan for tan removal at home:
- Apply a paste of 4 teaspoons besan, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon yogurt and a pinch of turmeric to your face and neck.
- Once it dries, wash it off.
- Doing this regularly removes every inch of skin tan.
#2 Lightens skin
You can also use gram flour for skin whitening. Here are 3 steps to use besan for far skin
- 4 teaspoons besan, when mixed with 1 teaspoon raw milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice can help lighten skin.
- Apply the paste to your face, scrubbing gently in a circular motion, and let it dry.
- Wash with cool water.
Pro-Tip: If you don’t have time to make besan face pack, you can include Olay White Radiance Brightening Intensive Cream in your daily regime
#3 Reduces oiliness
Suffering oily skin? You’ve found a friend in Besan.
- Mix besan and yogurt (or raw milk) and apply this paste evenly across your face.
- Wash your face with cold water to remove it after 20 minutes.
This besan face pack is excellent to help fight pimples. Follow these 3 simple steps to clear pimples from you face:
- Make a paste of 2 teaspoons besan, 2 teaspoons sandalwood powder, 1 teaspoon milk and a pinch of turmeric powder
- Apply to every inch of your face.
- When it dries, rinse off with cool water.
#5 Lighten dark arms and neck
Prolonged exposure to the sun can lead to darkening of the neck and arms. Here are 3 simple steps to lighten your dark arms and neck using besan:
- A mix of besan, yogurt, lemon juice and a pinch of turmeric powder is a good way to lighten skin.
- Apply the mask to your face and wash off after 20 minutes.
- Repeat this three times a week to see a visible difference.
#6 As a body scrub
Besan has healing and exfoliating properties that make it the perfect homemade, all natural body scrub.
- Combine 3 teaspoons besan, 1 teaspoon grounded oats and 2 teaspoons corn flour with a little raw milk.
- The scrub removes dry skin cells, oiliness and dirt, leaving you with gorgeously clean and smooth skin.
#7 Removes facial hair
- Banish that fine and not-so-fine facial hair with a pack made with fenugreek (methi) powder and besan.
- Apply this paste over all unwanted facial hair and let it dry.
- Scrub gently while washing it off.
- A face pack prepared with besan, lemon juice, malai and sandalwood powder works with equal aplomb.
#8 Fades Acne Scars
- Take 1 tablespoon of besan, ¼ tablespoon of turmeric and 1 and ½ tablespoon of fresh yogurt in a bowl
- Mix all the ingredients together to make a fine paste
- Apply this on your face wherever you have spots, acne scars and blemishes
- Wait for it to dry completely and then wash it off with cold water
- After multiple applications of this face pack, you will see a visible change in your scars
#9 Improves Dry Skin Condition
- Take a little besan and mix it with turmeric
- Add a little milk cream to this dry mixture and make a fine paste
- Apply this face pack on your face and neck
- Wash this face pack when it is about to dry completely
- This will lighten your complexion and also help you with your dry skin
#10 Helps in Getting Rid of Blackheads
- Take 4 teaspoon of besan, 2 teaspoon of curd, 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 2 teaspoon of honey
- Mix all the ingredients together to make a paste
- You can change the quantity of the ingredients dependent on your needs, but keep the ratio constant
- Apply the mixture on your face
- Wash it off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes
- Besan will act as a scrub and help you in getting rid of blackheads
#11 Anti-Ageing Properties
- You will need green gram flour, honey, egg white and lemon juice for this anti-ageing face pack
- Take egg white in a bowl and add a little lemon juice to this. Whisk it lightly
- Add a little honey to the above mixture and finally add green gram flour
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly into a fine paste
- Wash your face with warm water to open all clogged pores
- Apply this face mask in a circular motion all over your face
- After 15 mins, wash it off with warm water
- Apply oil-free moisturizer post washing for youthful skin
If you wish to get fair skin, try one of these face packs:
3 Simple Besan Face Packs for Blemish-free, Fair Skin
#1 Milk and besan face pack
- Mix 2 tablespoons of besan with 1 tablespoon of yogurt or 2 tablespoons of milk
- Apply the paste to your skin and let it dry
- After 20 minutes, wash it off with cold water
- Don’t rub but pat your skin dry
#2 Besan and almond face pack
- Mix 4 powdered almonds, 1 tablespoon milk, ½ teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of besan
- Apply the paste to your face and neck
- Let it sit for 30 minutes
- Wash your face with cool water and pat it dry
#3 Besan and cucumber face pack
- Make a paste using 2 tablespoons besan, 2 tablespoons cucumber juice and 5 drops lemon juice.
- Spread the paste all across your face and neck.
- Let it stay for 30 minutes and then rinse it with cool water.
You need to apply any of these besan fairness face packs at least twice a week for 3-4 months to see a visible difference in your skin complexion.
Now that you know all that this simple, most common ingredient can do, will you make it part of your beauty regimen?