Flowing like water in summer and frozen stiff in winter, that’s how my icky-sticky childhood memories of coconut oil are. I remember protesting to my grandma about slathering it on my hair. How my school friends laughed. I bet they won’t be laughing now; not when I know the secrets of this natural substance for my skin and hair, and they don’t.
I’m willing to share it with you. Are you ready to learn the hidden secrets of coconut oil for skin and hair?
Top 6 "Hidden Benefits" of Coconut Oil for Skin & Hair
#1 As a skin moisturiser
You can use coconut oil for dry skin. This is an all-natural product and truly speaking, the best moisturiser that your skin could ever ask for. You need very little oil and it immediately gets absorbed, leaving no sticky feeling on the surface.
You can also apply oil on your legs before shaving to keep the skin soft and make it easier to shave.
#2 To lessen facial wrinkles
You can use coconut oil to keep fine lines and wrinkles at bay. The triglycerides in the oil go deep inside and help repair the collagen that starts to break down with age, leaving you with soft, smooth, wrinkle-free skin. Have you tried Olay Age Protect Anti-Ageing Cream to beat the seven signs of ageing?
#3 As a deep cleanser
Ditch the commercial skin cleansers. Instead, keep a bottle of coconut oil handy in your beauty arsenal. It is a gentle and effective way to cleanse your skin of daily dust, grime, pollution and air-borne chemicals. As I told you earlier, it also moisturises and loosens trapped sebum.
You can easily make a coconut cleansing pack at home.
Coconut Oil Cleansing Pack For Dry Skin:
- Make a thick paste using 2 tablespoon almond flour and mix it with coconut oil and milk.
- Apply it to your face and massage gently in a circular motion.
- Immerse a soft towel in very warm water and cover your face with it for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash your face with warm water and then give it a splash of ice cold water.
- Air dry the face and moisturise with a few drops of coconut oil.
Coconut Oil Cleansing Pack For Oily Skin:
- Make a paste of rice flour and coconut oil.
- You can also add a few drops of lemon oil.
- Cover your face with a warm wet towel for 15-20 minutes, or steam your face.
- Wash it off with a mild soap and warm water.
#4 As a natural makeup remover
Another relatively unknown use of coconut oil for face is its make-up removal properties. However strong the make-up you have on, coconut oil gently removes it all, even from sensitive areas like the eyes.
- Apply coconut oil to the makeup and wait for 5 minutes before gently wiping it off.
- Wash with warm water and a gentle soap.
- You can apply a thin layer of coconut oil to moisturise your skin.
#5 To fight acne
You probably have gorgeous skin, but every now and then a pesky pimple or acne shows up. It is mostly because of trapped sebum. Using coconut oil to cleanse your face will keep pores clear and prevent the appearance of acne.
#6 To add shine and health to hair
You do realise that grandma was actually right about oiling your hair. But we suggest you take it a notch down. You can use coconut oil for hair that shines with health. Just a few drops are enough to give you a glossy mane.
Another in the basket of coconut oil benefits for hair is what your mom and her mom before and the countless women before have been talking about – an oil ‘champi’. Massage in a good amount of oil in your hair and scalp, and wash it out with a good shampoo like Pantene Pro-V for soft, healthy hair. You can also use mustard oil along with coconut oil to maintain shine and health. Check out our 8 step guide to use mustard oil for hair health here.
Start using this all natural, virgin, unadulterated product today, and you will see the difference literally overnight.Find more useful daily skin care tips here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.