As Indians we are already partial towards ‘white’ or lighter skin. Heaven help the girl who starts to get dark patches of pigmentation on her face or hands or any other visible body part. It’s bad enough that aunts and grand moms will be horrified, but the neighbours and well-meaning relatives too! OMG! It can get annoying.
Fret not, ladies. If you ever, ever, face the problem of skin pigmentation, you can rustle up remedies at home in a jiffy.
We have been talking so much of skin pigmentation, so the next thing would be obviously what exactly skin pigmentation is
What is Skin Pigmentation?
Skin pigmentation also called as hyperpigmentation is a condition in which there is excessive production of melanin. Melanin is responsible for determining your skin tone. But the excessive production of it causes dark patches on your skin.
What Are The Causes Of Skin Pigmentation?
There are many factors contributing to pigmentation. Here’s the list of few prominent factors:
- Skin inflammation caused due to excessive exposure to sun
- Allergic reaction
- Excessive Medication
- Skin injury
- Hormonal changes
- Facial hair removal in appropriate way
Whatever the cause, there are home remedies for pigmentation that can slow down and reverse the effect of darkening.
5 Home Remedies For Skin Pigmentation:
Everyone knows the health benefits of turmeric, apparently even coffee shops in the US. This sunflower golden powder can bleach the dark spots away and also keep your skin healthy.Steps:
- Make a paste using one teaspoon of turmeric and one teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Smear this paste on the darkened areas.
- Leave it for 20 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Stay away from the sun for at least an hour after this. Best to do this at night.
- Do this daily for a few weeks and the results will start to show.
#2 Orange Peel
The juicy orange keeps giving even after you’re done eating. Its peel is loaded with citric acid, the nemesis of dark patches.
- To one tablespoon dried orange peel powder add one teaspoon each of lemon juice, milk and honey.
- Make a smooth paste and apply it to your affected skin.
- Let it work its magic for 15-20 minutes and then massage it gently in a circular motion.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can safely try this remedy 3-4 times a week.
The tangy lemon is yet another pigmentation removal treatment. Like the orange, it contains citric acid. But in this case we will be using the juice.
- Squeeze out some fresh lemon juice.
- Dip a cotton ball in the juice and apply the juice directly to the affected area.
- Wash it off after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat this twice for a few months and you will start to see the patches lighten.
- If you have sensitive skin you can dilute the juice with a little water.
Have you given any thought to sandalwood as one of the home remedies for pigmentation on face? It can fight hyperpigmentation and also improve your complexion.
- Make a sweet-smelling paste using two tablespoons sandalwood powder and just enough rose water.
- Apply this paste to your darkened skin and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this twice a day for a few weeks until you start to see the skin lighten.
#5 Raw potato
The humble potato is also an effective skin pigmentation treatment. But always use it raw; the boiled variety is better as an aloo paratha.
- Wash, peel and cut a potato into thick slices.
- Put some drops of clean water on the potato slices.
- Rub the moist side of the potato on your affected skin.
- When the potato turns dark, use another slice the same way.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water after 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day, for a month.
To avoid dark pigmentation, do not ever forget your sunscreen when stepping out in the sun. Follow a healthy skin care regimen – cleanse, tone, moisturise and exfoliate. You can also try Olay Natural White 7 IN ONE Instant Glowing Fairness with UV Protection to help get glowing skin!
Also, check out 8 amazing besan face pack recipes to get clear glowing skin here.
Read useful skin care tips here.
Learn expert beauty tips here.