Did you party a little too much last night and at present don’t have any clue where you got a cut on your lower lip from? Well, among other lip swelling causes, injury to the tissue in your lip is the most common. Besides that, swollen lips may be caused by an allergic reaction, in which case you should immediately go see a doctor. Also, we have the perfect swollen lip treatment for you if it is a skin infection or an insect bite behind the bloated lip. Keep in mind that if your body lacks Vitamin B then your lips will become swollen, cracked and dry in no time.
Don’t worry. We are here to save your day with our list of special home remedies for swollen lips.
5 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Swollen Lips:
1. Ice Pack:
An ice pack will help reduce the swelling and pain caused by injury to the lip.
- Place a couple of ice cubes in a cotton cloth and tie it up tightly
- Gently press the ice pack against your lips for 5-10 minutes
- Repeat it a few times a day to reduce swelling
- Make sure you don’t apply ice directly to the affected area as it may cause a frost bite
2. Black Tea Compression:
Naturally occurring Tannin present in black tea acts as an astringent, and helps heal as well as calm the soft tissue in your lips.
- Just in case you don’t have black tea bags at home, you can make your own using 2 tbsp. of black tea wrapped in a small, thin cloth
- Warm the cloth full of black tea in water for 5-7 minutes
- Apply the make-do tea bag to your swollen lip for 15 minutes, several times a day
- Your swelling should significantly come down by the end of the day
3. Fresh Aloe Vera:
Aloe’s anti-inflammatory agents helps reduce the bloating in your lips and helps bring down the pain as well.
- You’ll need 1 tbsp. of fresh aloe vera gel
- Gently massage your lip with the gel
- Repeat several times a day and be kiss-ready in no time
Another swollen lip cure that has been around for centuries because of its anti-bacterial properties is honey. Additionally, it helps keep your lips moisturised, and prevents any further infections.
- All you need is 1 tbsp. of honey and a cotton ball
- Wash your face with a gentle face wash
- Cover the cotton ball in honey and apply to your lips
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash off with water
- Do it a few times a day and see your lips getting restored to their original size and shape, plus now, they’re well moisturised as well! You can even use a little Olay Total Effects 7 in One Day Cream for additional moisturisation of lips and adjacent area of your lips.
The healing power of turmeric or haldi helps cure any infection that might have caused you a swollen lip. Its antiseptic properties make it great for cuts as well.
- 1 tsp. of turmeric should be mixed with a tbsp. of cold water and made into a smooth paste
- Mildly apply to the affected lip and leave for 10 minutes
- Now wash it off thoroughly and repeat two times a day
- The swelling and pain should be gone by the end of the day, and you can carry on life without looking like you’ve made out with a mosquito!
Wohoo! The solution to swollen lips comes from your kitchen.
Also, check out 10 home remedies to get pink lips naturally here at our blog.
Read more skin care tips at Reward Me.
Check out more useful beauty tips at our blog.