I am a bit of a quirky person. I like to use products that no one else does. Are you anything like me? Then perhaps I can interest you in home-made soap. The soap making process might require a little practice and in all likelihood you might end up with lumpy-clumpy soaps the first time around, but believe me, the satisfaction of using or even gifting your first batch of perfectly formed soap is incredible.
Are you ready to learn how to make soap? Here are a few of my favourite recipes.
4 Easy-To-Make Homemade Soap Recipes:
#1 Tea Tree
The tea tree soap uses a mixture of gentle oils such as olive, coconut, almonds and avocado, that combine with tea tree oil for a heavenly bath soap that will leave you smelling fresh and also sooth smaller skin irritations.
Depending on how many soaps you wish to make, you can increase or decrease the oils but always in these percentages:Ingredients:
-Olive oil - 45%
-Coconut oil - 30%
-Sweet almond oil - 13%
-Avocado oil - 12%
-Lye (NaOH) – same quantity as almond oil
-Water – enough to dissolve the Lye
-Tea tree essential oil – as per preference
- Carefully dissolve lye in the water. Allow the solution to cool.
- Combine all the oils and melt them.
- When the oils and water-lye are approximately 35o C (use a thermometer) add the lye-water to the oils.
- Mix with a stick blender.
- Now add the tea tree oil and blend it all well.
- Pour the solution into moulds (you can get quirky moulds for this).
- Let it sit untouched for 24-48 hours.
- Let the soap cure for 4-6 weeks before you start using it.
#2 Aromatic lemon soap
The tangy zest of a lemon is a perfect wake-up aroma for summer mornings.
You will need:
-Shea butter soap base, cut into cubes - 1½ cups
-Lemon essential oil - 4-6 drops
-Dried lemon zest - 3-4 lemons
- Microwave the cubed soap at 30 second intervals until it melts fully.
- Add a few drops of the lemon essential oil and the lemon zest.
- Mix it all really well.
- Pour this mixture into soap moulds and allow it to harden overnight.
- This soap is ready to be used within a day or two.
#3 Rose petals
Make your own rose fragranced soap, right at home! Doesn’t get more exciting than that!
You will need:
-Unscented natural soap
-A few rose petals
-Rose essential oil
- Cut the unscented soap into cubes and microwave it at 30-second intervals until it melts.
- Add a little water if the soap seems to be drying out.
- Now place some rose petals in the soap moulds.
- Add the remaining petals to the melted soap and mix.
- Pour the rose soap mixture into the moulds and let it cool for a few hours.
- Your rose soap is ready to use.
#4 Shea Butter and Coconut milk
This is the most complex but most luxurious homemade soap recipe. Try it, it’ll be nice.
You will need:
Shea butter - 135 gm
Coconut oil - 180 gm
Olive oil - 360 gm
Castor oil - 90 gm
Palm oil - 135 gm
Distilled water - 200 gm
Coconut milk - 97 gm
Lye - 123.2 gm
Water, as % of oils or 33 gm
- Warm the coconut milk and keep it aside.
- Heat the soap batter until it forms a thin trace (this means when you drip some of the batter back into the bowl, it stays as a mound before slowly sinking back in)
- Now add the coconut milk.
- Keep mixing the batter until the trace becomes thicker.
- Pour the batter into the soap moulds.
- Let the soap cool overnight.
- You might need to cure the soap for 3-4 weeks before you can use it.
Now that you know how to make soap at home which one will you start with? And yes, supplement these DIY soaps with Olay Natural White 7 IN ONE Foaming Cleanser to get glowing skin.
These homemade soap will definitely take care of skin nourishment. But you can also use raw milk to get flawless skin. Check out 3 ways to use raw milk for skin brightening here at our blog.
Find more useful daily skin care tips here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.