The thing about trends is that everyone follows them. Which means everyone ends up wearing the same clothes, the same shoes, carrying similar accessories and even sporting the same makeup.
While there may not be much that you can do about clothes and shoes, you can make a big difference by changing something small – your lipstick.
You don’t need to go against the grain and opt for shocking shades of green and purple (unless that is your thing). But you definitely can say no to pre-decided shades and brands, and come up with something entirely original, all by yourself, at home.
A homemade lipstick isn’t ridiculously difficult to make, although it does take some time and effort. You can learn how to make your own unique shades in three easy steps.
The all natural lipstick is not only something to boast about, but it will also save you a tidy sum that you can splurge on that lovely top you had your eye on.
This is a beginner’s guide on how to make lipstick at home. As you get better, you can experiment more and create a whole range of gorgeous lipsticks.
#1 Gathering up the ingredients
This article only talks about using natural products. If it is a diy lipstick, why would you subject your precious pout to chemicals and harsh ingredients?
Let’s start with:
- Butter (you can use either shea, almond, avocado or mango) – just one teaspoon (approx. 5 ml)
- Beeswax (beeswax beads work just fine too) – one teaspoon only (approx. 5 ml)
- Oil (any one of almond, jojoba or extra virgin olive) – one teaspoon (approx. 5 ml)
- A microwave safe bowl
- Empty lipstick / chapstick tubes or small cosmetic pots (should have a secure lid)
Go find some colour:
Now to the exciting part. You’ll be amazed to know that your kitchen is filled with amazing products that can give you just the right shade of lipstick. Tints of red and brown, bright oranges and pretty pinks. Ooh, it is exciting.
#1 Stunning reds and pinks – say hello to beetroot powder (or crushed beetroot chips)
#2 A little brown, a little red – a dash of cinnamon (or two or three) works wonders
#3 Deep, dark browns – create your shade with some delicious cocoa powder
#4 Bold copper tones – the simple, quintessential haldi (turmeric) is your friend
A word for the newly-initiated: all these products are natural, so the colours will be muted and earthy.
#2 Mixing it all
- Tip everything, except the colour, into the bowl. Don’t mix it just yet.
- Heat the bowl in your microwave for 30-second intervals.
- Stop and check between each cycle. Once all the ingredients have melted, remove the bowl and stir the blend until it is thoroughly mixed.
Don’t have a microwave? Not to worry. You can also use the double-boiler method.
- Take the largest, thickest pan you own and heat up about 5 cms of water in it.
- Put all your ingredients (except the colour) in a smaller vessel and carefully place it in the larger one. While still on heat, stir the blend until everything is mixed thoroughly.
You can finally turn to the chosen colour. Depending on how intense you want the shade to be, add anything between 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoons of the colour ingredient. To start with, add a little, stir and check. Repeat this step a few times until you get your dream colour.
#3 Your lipstick is ready
We’re almost there. Just a small step remains.
Before the mixture cools down, pour it into the empty tube or the container. Remember, it must have a secure lid. Leave the lipstick overnight to cool and harden. And voila, your very own homemade lipstick is ready.
Never be caught without a lipstick again. Pop the new shade and the Olay Regenerist Anti-Aging Lip Treatment in your purse to have soft, coloured lips all the time.
Also, check out how to apply lipstick perfectly with this step by step guide.
Find the latest makeup tips at our blog.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.