Dandruff is such a common and annoying scalp condition, one wonders why modern medicine hasn’t come up with a permanent solution yet.
Me, I’d rather use apple cider vinegar for dandruff.
5 Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) For Hair:
- Is antibacterial: The probiotic nature of ACV kills dandruff-causing bacteria and fungus
- Is anti-inflammatory: This soothes your scalp while it is healing
- Restores moisture and pH levels: AVC is acidic in nature. This maintains moisture and pH levels of your scalp, keeping fungus out
- Unclogs hair follicles: The enzymes in ACV coax the hair follicles open, keeping your scalp healthy and dandruff-free
- Is natural: No chemicals; I rest my case
5 Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dandruff:
#1 Direct application
The fool-proof and easiest method to tackle dandruff:
- Cotton ball – 1-2
- A warm towel
- Pour some ACV into a small bowl
- Dip the cotton ball in the vinegar and let it soak fully
- Partition your hair in several places and dab the vinegar
- Do this several times to cover your entire scalp
- Massage your scalp gently with your fingertips
- Wrap your head with the warm towel
- Remove it after an hour and rinse out your hair with warm water; do not shampoo
- Do this at least twice a week for a month to see results
#2 ACV and curd
Curd is loaded with proteins and vitamin B5, both very good for your hair and scalp. When combined with ACV, you get the double benefit of nourished, dandruff-free hair.
- ACV – 1 teaspoon
- Curd (non-flavoured) – ½ cup
- Mix the curd and vinegar in a bowl
- Apply this mix to freshly-shampooed hair and scalp, and massage it well
- Let it sit for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it out thoroughly with cool water
- Repeat this once a week to see dramatic results
#3 ACV with honey
I can’t open a bottle of honey without popping a spoonful in my mouth. Do you know this delicious food is a powerful anti-dandruff agent too?
- Warm water – ½ cup
- ACV – 1/3 cup
- Pure, unadulterated honey – 3 tablespoons
- Spray bottle
- Shower cap
- Mix all the three ingredients thoroughly
- Transfer this mixture into the spray bottle
- Part your hair vertically and horizontally into four equal sections
- Spray the solution on your hair and scalp, covering the entire surface
- Cover up with the shower cap
- Leave the solution for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water and Head & Shoulders Smooth & Silky Shampoo and conditioner
Indulge in this home treatment once every week and you will see dandruff beat a hasty retreat
#4 ACV and methi (fenugreek)
Another of my tried and tested apple cider vinegar dandruff treatments is to combine it with fenugreek. The antifungal and antibacterial product fights dandruff with ease, while also conditioning your tresses.
- Methi seeds – 2 to 3 tablespoons
- ACV – 1 teaspoon
- Soak the methi seeds overnight and grind into a fine paste the next morning
- Add the vinegar to this and mix well
- Make several small partitions in your hair and smear this paste all over your scalp using a hair brush
- Allow the mixture to work on the dandruff for about 15-20 minutes before rinsing it out with water
- Depending on the severity of your dandruff problem, you can use this paste every alternate day or 1-2 times a week
- You can store the mixture in the refrigerator for future use
#5 ACV and peppermint leaves
Who would’ve thought the delicious, slightly spicy pudina (peppermint) is an effective dandruff remedy? When antiseptic peppermint is mixed with apple cider vinegar hair dandruff will disappear, never to come back.
- ACV – 1 cup
- Peppermint leaves – 5 to 7
- Water – 1 cup
- Pour the water in a pan and bring it to boil
- Let it simmer for a few minutes on a low flame
- Turn off the heat and then add the peppermint leaves and vinegar to the water
- Steep undisturbed for 2-3 hours
- Strain and pour this solution into a spray bottle
- Make small partitions in your hair and spray this solution all over your head
- Gently massage your scalp for 5 minutes
- Wash your hair with warm water to remove all trace of the solution
- You can repeat this treatment daily to get rid of your dandruff issues
5 simple treatments, using apple cider vinegar, each with a promise to tackle your dandruff problem. Let us know which one worked for you best.
Also, check out 7 home remedies to fight hairfall due to dandruff here at our blog.
Read expert hair care tips here.
Get useful beauty tips here.