Oily hair is a huge problem. It barely stays fresh and bouncy a day or so after the wash. Before you know it, it becomes greasy and limp. You don’t always have the time to wash hair every day, and stepping out in that condition is a social nightmare.
How do you cope with this problem? Are there hair products for oily hair that can help you keep this situation under control?
Market shelves seem to be filled with products for dry and damaged hair. And if not, then you fear using anything that could leave a sticky, oily film on your head, adding to the problem.
But all is not lost yet. There is a reason there are different products for different kinds of hair – straight, curly, dry or oily.
6 Tips for Choosing the Right Hair Products to Tackle Oily Hair
1. Get the shampoo right
- Finding the right shampoo for oily hair is the first step to solving the problem.
- The oil in the hair is secreted in the scalp and your product needs to treat that without drying out your hair in the bargain.
- Scour the departmental store shelves for a clarifying shampoo and wash your hair with that once a week. This will gently cleanse your scalp and hair of the oil and sebum, while leaving your hair healthy.
- Avoid using a moisturising shampoo as that tends to add on a layer of a cream to your tresses.
Pro Tip: A clear shampoo rather than creamy, opaque shampoo works wonders for oily hair. You can check out Pantene Pro V Nature Fusion Shampoo which has natural ingredients that help strengthen your hair as well as balance the oiliness.
2. Use dry hair powder
- Your scalp releases about half a teaspoon of oil in 24 hours.
- Keep dry hair powder with you at all times to tackle that mid-day oil attack.
3. Condition, but only the tips of your hair
- Oily hair doesn’t mean you avoid using conditioners. Just be careful that you use the right conditioner for oily hair.
- Apply it on the tips of your hair and keep it away from your scalp.
- Rinse it out thoroughly.
4. Experiment with dry shampoo
- Oily hair seems to need to be washed daily.
- If you don’t want to, or don’t have the time to, invest in a good dry shampoo and use that to soak up the excess oils and add volume to your hair.
5. Make serum your best friend
- Using hair serum for oily hair is an excellent idea.
- It helps reduces frizz, moisturises and conditions without drying it out or adding on a greasy layer.
6. Go light on the styling products
- If you wish to use hair styling products, stick to light textures and finishes, irrespective of how strong you want the hold you want.
- A styling spray is a good investment that holds your hair without making your hair heavy.
- Stay away from heavy creams, gels, oils and wax.
- They will just make your hair heavier and make it appear too slick.
Also, check out how to use lemon for hair in 6 interesting ways to maintain oil free hair here.