In fact, olive oil for hair has been atrusted recommended treatment by stylists and hair experts, especially as a dandruff buster, as it protects the scalp from dryness. This promotes healthy hair growth.
Here are some treatments using olive oil for dandruff. An olive oil massage effectively locks in the moisture and gets rid of unwanted dead hair cells, thus preventing most hair and scalp problems.
6 super features that make olive oil a healthier option for hair:
- It is loaded with antioxidants that keep the scalp healthy.
- It is bursting with vitamins A and E and other vital nutrients that combat the ill effects of chemical based hair and styling products.
- It is rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acids which coat the abused outer layer of the hair, transforming it into silky, shiny locks you love.
- It is a natural moisturizer and hair softener.
- Its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties fight dandruff, hair fall, head lice, etc.
- It contains polyphenols (water-soluble substance) which clean the scalp and calm frizz without the greasy build-up.
Try these 3 olive oil treatments and see the difference.
1. Warm Olive Oil Massage
Warming the olive oil helps it seep into the scalp more effectively which deep conditions the hair.
- Heat ½ - 1 cup of olive oil (you may need more depending on the length of your hair).
- Allow to cool for a few minutes and test a few drops on the back of your palm before applying.
- Now massage in the oil parting your hair in sections,going from root to tip while concentrating on your scalp.
- Comb out the tangles and cover your hair in a towel or shower cap.
- Leave for 30 minutes to overnight and shampoo off.
- Repeat at least once a week.
As an option, you could also mix in some coconut oil in equal measure.
2. Olive Oil with Honey
The benefits of olive oil for hair are highlightedwhen combined with the anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties of honey. This treatment helps reduce dryness of scalp and inflammation caused by it and dandruff.
- Warm half cup of virgin olive oil mixed with 2 teaspoons of honey.
- Gently massage it in your scalp and leave on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with a herbal shampoo and wrap a hot towel around your hair; this seals in the moisture.
3. Olive Oil with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Massage your hair and scalp for a few minutes with a cup of warm olive oil.
- Cover and leave for a few hours.
- Shampoo your hair and apply a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar; it works as a natural conditioner.
- Let it stay for a few minutes and wash off with fresh water.
While olive oil is a good solution, Head & Shoulders is an effective solution especially on busy days or if you suffer from dandruff.
Read simple yet effective home remedies for dandruff.
Read more hair care tips at Reward Me.
Get useful beauty tips here.