Making natural hair gel at home is really a matter of a few minutes. And very little effort too. With ingredients that are found at home, or worst, at the closest pharmacy, you can create your own batch of customised hair gel for weeks of well-styled hair.
And wait, if you thought this article was just for women, it’s not the case. The recipes are simple enough for men to whip up a batch in a jiffy too.
2 Must Try Hair Gel Recipes For Healthy Hair:
Ingredients for homemade hair gel
Unflavoured gelatine - ½ to 1 teaspoon
Warm, distilled water – 1 cup
Essential oils (optional)
How to make hair gel at home:
- Add the gelatine to the warm water and stir until fully dissolved.
- You can add more or less gelatine depending upon your need. Less gelatine means less ‘hold’. Remember to use the less hold gel for frizzy hair.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours to set.
- Mix in a few drops of your favourite essential oil (if you want to) and mix it up well.
Yes, that’s it. The hair gel is ready. Use it the way you have used other commercially-bought products. Make smaller batches first as this gel has a shelf-life of just 1-2 weeks.
You might need a few trials before you can perfect the consistency, but it is still worth the money you will save.
Another hair gel recipe uses flaxseeds. Here is the flaxseed gel recipe:
Flaxseed Gel Recipe:
Whole flaxseeds – 2 tablespoons
Water – 1 cup
Aloevera gel (optional)
Essential oils (optional)
- Start by boiling the water.
- Now add the whole flaxseeds into it and keep stirring continuously.
- Don’t worry; this will only take 5 minutes.
- Once the solution starts to look like gel, immediately remove it from the heat and strain it using a fine sieve.
- After it cools down, pour it in a small squeeze or pump bottle.
- Add aloevera gel, not more than ¼ of the flaxseed gel quantity. This thins the gel and also imparts moisturising properties.
- Add a few drops of your essential oil, shake the bottle and you’re ready to use it.
How to use:
- Flaxseed gel when mixed with 2 teaspoons castor oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 2 teaspoons honey is your all-natural homemade hair straightening gel.
- Apply it to your strands, leave it on for about 30 minutes and then wash off with a nourishing shampoo like Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Repair Shampoo.
- Allow your hair to dry naturally.
- Done regularly for a month will leave you with straighter, shinier and naturally smoother hair.
Store all the extra hair gel in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. Transfer it in small squeeze bottles for easy applications.
So now that you know how to make natural hair gel at home, will you spend your hard-earned money on readymade cosmetic products again?
Also, check out 7 effective hair fall solutions that would work best with hair gel to help you maintain strong and healthy hair.
Check out a complete hair care guide with amazing hair care tips, hairstyling ideas and DIY hairstyle tutorials here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.