Psoriasis is a disorder that can affect any part of your skin, but the most common is the scalp. Let’s begin by understanding what scalp psoriasis is.
The underlying cause of this ailment is a faulty immune system. Normal skin cell generation has a cycle of a few weeks. However, with a faulty system, cells are produced in days. Your body can’t shed the cells fast enough and they tend to pile up, leading to patches, the most visually obvious symptom of psoriasis.
What cause psoriasis of the scalp in the first place? The triggers could be anything from stress, skin injury, reaction to certain medication, a skin infection or just a change in weather, especially cold and dry air.
People affected by psoriasis also suffer from redness and itching, ranging from mild to severe. Prescription drugs can help lessen the symptoms and the disorder itself. However, you can also try some home remedies for psoriasis on scalp.
Unfortunately, psoriasis on scalp can extend beyond, to cover the forehead or ears as well. Thankfully there are a few home remedies for scalp psoriasis that you can easily try:
5 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Scalp Psoriasis
#1 Oil massages
Keep your skin moisturised at all times. You can use fish, olive or Vitamin E oil.
How To Use:
- Apply the oil of your choice to the affected area
- Gently rub it in
- The oil will soothe the itch as well as prevent the scaling from spreading further
#2 Apple cider vinegar
Vinegar in any form is good to control inflammation. Apple cider vinegar is especially gentle on your skin.
Steps To Use:
- Make a solution of equal parts of warm water and apple cider vinegar
- Apply this solution to the affected parts with an ear bud
- Let it sit for about 20 minutes before washing it off thoroughly
#3 Curd and banana hair pack
The combination of curd and bananas is good to soothe the itch and to offer relief from the burning sensation.
- Mash an overripe banana in a bowl
- Add 2 tablespoons of curds to this and mix it well
- Apply this mixture to your scalp paying attention to the affected areas
- Wash it off after 30 minutes for an itch-free scalp
#4 Dead Sea salt
The medicinal properties of Dead Sea salt are legendary.
How To Use:
- Make a solution of warm water and 2-3 teaspoons of the salt
- Apply this to the affected areas of your scalp
- Wash it off thoroughly after 15-20 minutes
#5 Lukewarm baths
Stay away from hot water baths while you suffer from psoriasis.
Steps To Use:
- Instead, run a lukewarm water bath
- Add some mineral or olive oil, Epsom salts or even milk
- Wash your hair and scalp with this water to soothe the itching
These simple remedies will work alongside any medicines that have been prescribed. For regular hair washing, we recommend using Pantene Pro-V Total Damage Care Shampoo and Conditioner.Also, check out 15 benefits of lemon juice for hair health here.
Read expert hair care tips here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me