To begin to understand why monsoons increase dandruff we must first understand what causes dandruff. A fungus that goes by the name of Malassezia is responsible for causing the irritation that leads to dandruff. This fungus breaks down sebum into smaller fatty acids which causes irritation, which in turn causes flaking and dryness. What’s more, if you have sensitive skin, the chances getting dandruff multiply. During the monsoon, the humid and moist air proves to be perfect for this fungus to thrive. That being said, there is many an effective dandruff remedy to help you get rid of those snowflakes.
8 Effective Must-Know Dandruff Remedies For Monsoon
- First of all, make sure you invest in a mild yet effective anti-dandruff shampoo. The best anti-dandruff shampoo around is Head & Shoulders as it contains ingredients that keep fungus under control. Remember, the best shampoo for dandruff is one that contains zinc pyrithione or piroctoneolamine. Shampoo twice a week.
- Be sure to keep your scalp dry as far as possible. This makes it tougher for microbes to survive in your hair. If you do get your hair wet in the rain then make sure to cleanse it with a good conditioner like Head & Shoulders Smooth and Silky Conditioner, which will ensure that you are flake-free while leaving your hair soft and manageable.
- Always apply your conditioner to the ends of your hair. Applying it on the scalp, during the monsoon, actually increases dandruff.
- Follow a low sugar diet that is rich in antioxidants. By doing so, you will minimize irritation and inflammation, which in turn helps control dandruff.
- It is essential that you reduce hairstyling and the styling products during monsoon because they tend to attract grime and dirt.
- Always, and we mean always, brush and comb you hair very gently. Remember, scalp damage causes inflammation, which in turn causes dandruff.
- Eat plenty of foods that are rich in protein, iron and omega 3 fatty acids like fish, nuts, some leafy vegetables etc.
- Get a hot oil massage twice a week but don’t go overboard on the oil. Use a little so that you don’t end up damaging your scalp just trying to take it off.
Hair fall is also one of the common problems caused during monsoon. Check out 5 essential tips to control hair loss in monsoon here at our blog.
Read expert hair care tips here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.