Whether you are born with luscious, luxurious hair that gets damaged by various pollutants, stress and the weather, or you’re hair type is naturally frizzy and brittle – you usually wind up with dry hair. Not only does it feel dull and unhealthy and difficult to manage, it can also lead to persistent problems like dandruff and hair loss.
5 Home Remedies for Dry Hair:
The first home remedy for dry hair comes straight out of the kitchen. Rich in protein, mayonnaise is guaranteed to make your hair shiny and soft. For this remedy, you’ll need:
- One, full cup of all-fat mayonnaise.
- Apply a thick coat of it over the slightly damp strands of your hair and scalp.
- Then, very gently massage it on your scalp and down the strands to the tips.
- Keep your hair covered by a shower cap for an hour.
- Rinse it out with lukewarm water and then shampoo it with Pantene Total Damage Control.
- Repeat it weekly to hydrate your hair.
2. Banana and Avocado:
One of the best dry hair remedies is the fruit banana. It’s loaded with vitamin A, B, C and E and is rich with minerals like potassium, zinc and iron. It is followed by avocado as a close second. Avocados are rich in biotin which works on weak and dry hair. The vitamins and minerals in bananas add to your hairs natural elasticity and make your hair soft. To make the Banana and Avocado mask you'll need:
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ a ripe avocado
- 2-3 tbsp of coconut milk
- Mash the banana, avocado and add the coconut milk
- Mix into a paste
- Apply all over your dry hair
- Let it rest for 20-30 minutes
- Wash it off with cool or lukewarm water
A perfect solution for dry hair is honey. It is a natural humectant – which means that it has the ability to attract and retain moisture. It’s rich with antioxidants and nutrients which enrich the hair follicles. Due to its sticky nature, it requires a medium through which it can be used – we recommend hair oil. For this remedy you'll need:
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup oil
- Warm this concoction of honey and oil slightly
- Let it rest for 20 minutes
- Wash it out with Head & Shoulders shampoo.
4. Egg White and Water:
The lush white portion of the egg is full of bacteria consuming enzymes that help cleanse the scalp and the strands of your hair. Its natural moisturising properties add much needed gloss and nutrients to dry hair. Is it any wonder then, that this remedy would be included in the list? To create egg white and water mask:
- Separate the white of the egg from the yellow yolk and set it aside in a bowl
- Add three tablespoon of water and mix well
- Apply on your hair and wait for 20 minutes
- Shampoo the mask out of your hair.
Tip: You can use lemon juice to remove any trace of an egg smell from your hair.
Yoghurt is not just an important quotient in your diet, it is also great for dry hair – deep conditioning it to make it soft and moisturised. Also, in every professional treatment for dry hair, yoghurt is an important component. The lactic acid in yoghurt cleanses your hair and scalp, while all-fat yoghurt will moisturise it and finally the element of protein whie rejuvenate dull and frizzy hair. You’ll need:
2-4 tablespoons of all-fat, plain yoghurt
- Coat your hair with the yoghurt and gently massage it into your scalp
- Leave it in for 20-30 minutes
- Wash it off with shampoo
- Start by doing this once and week and then reduce it to once in 2-3 weeks.
- So there you have it, 5 simple home remedies that will smooth the road to strong, moisturised and frizz free hair.
Apart from these solutions, fenugreek seeds are also equally effective for dry hair problems. Check out 13 ways to use fenugreek seeds for hair care problems here at our blog.
Read more hair care tips at Reward Me.
Click for more beauty tips here.