11 Ways to Upgrade Your ‘Mom Ponytail’
Quick and easy ways to add some style to your favorite go-to hairdo.
Ponytails are great for a lot of things; saving time in the morning, keeping hair out of your face, protecting your tresses from grabby babies. But they’re not always the most stylish option if all you do is wrap an elastic around a hastily gathered hank of hair. If you’re not willing to give up the ease and convenience of your ponytail but still want to give it a little polish, check out these 11 hacks to make it stylish without taking too much of your time.
1. Bangs. A little fringe up front makes a ponytail look like an on-purpose hairstyle rather than just a utilitarian solution to a problem.
2. Headbands. Fabric, plastic, metallic, jeweled, wooden – headbands are an easy way to bring a punch of style to a boring old pony.
3. Color. A streak of a surprising shade can amp things up, either permanently with dye or temporarily with spray or hair chalk.
4. Braids. A few messy braids add just enough interest to take your ponytail to the next level.
Check out this easy chinese staircase braid ponytail hairstyle at Reward Me.
5. Go high. To get the look of a trendy high pony, bend over, flip your hair forward, and gather the strands together slightly higher than your crown.
6. Go low. Hair tied at the nape of the neck is easy and elegant; sweep it to one side over your shoulder and you’re perfectly posh.
7. Barrettes. Hair accessories aren’t just for little girls. To keep them more chic than cutesy, go for simple designs, natural materials, and interesting textures rather than cartoony shapes.
8. Tease the top. To give your ponytail a modern-retro shape, back-comb the top and keep the sides sleek and smooth.
9. Tease the tail. If your hair usually falls flat, tease in some texture – add dry shampoo for a bit of grit, then back-comb it into fabulous fullness.
10. Scarf. A scarf tied at the back is a great way to add style and color to your look, and worn forward over your hairline, it can also do wonders for the postpartum wispies or growing-out bangs.
11. Accessorize. Wearing statement earrings, a bold necklace, or a top with an interesting neckline or back makes your ponytail make sense.
What’s your favorite way to wear a ponytail?