How to get rid of oily hair is a mighty challenge for today’s young women. Oily hair renders a flat, dull and lifeless appearance, even within a few hours of shampooing. It can even cause social embarrassment as it portrays poor hygiene, implying that hair is not washed frequently enough. So how do you tackle the problem? By shampooing your hair frequently and vigorously. While chemical based shampoos can tackle the issue, in the long run, they could end up doing more harm than good. Hence adopting home-remedies for oily hair is always recommended.
Oily hair is caused by an excess of sebum (oil) in the hair which is produced by overactive sebaceous glands, stimulated by hormones called androgens.
Internal causes - Common reasons of sebum over-production could be fluctuating hormone levels, puberty phase, pregnancy, menopause and stress.
External causes – Over production of sebum is also induced by over-washing of hair, scrubbing the hair and scalp vigorously, pollution, high-fat or high-sugar diet, consumption of processed foods, vitamin B deficiency and over use of hair styling products
Using an oil-fix shampoo is the easiest way and a quick-fix to correct the situation, but this may end up damaging the hair eventually. Frequent shampooing and washing of hair can cause an increase in the sebum production and strip the hair and scalp of all its natural oils causing the sebaceous glands to excrete larger amounts of sebum.
So if you want to know how to get rid of oily hair, here are the top 3 home remedies for oily scalp. They’re not just natural and a healthier option, they can even be made in minutes.
1. Methi Mask
- Soak a handful of methi seeds in water overnight for at least 6-8 hours.
- Grind to a fine paste next morning and massage into the scalp and hair. Be sure to reach the scalp, the most important part.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat once a week as this is an effective cure for dandruff, hair fall and thinning.
Also, check out 13 other ways to use fenugreek (methi) seeds for hair here at our blog.
2. Baking Soda, Yoghurt, & Lemon Juice
- Take 5 tablespoons plain yoghurt + 1 tablespoon baking soda + 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mix thoroughly until the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Apply to your hair concentrating on the roots. Leave on for 30 minutes, then wash and condition as usual.
Now some of you may have combination hair. Combination hair tends to be oily by the roots but strangely dry and damaged near the ends of the hair and this is usually caused by an overdose of styling products. This makes it confusing when it comes to choosing a hair mask. Do you choose one for oily hair, or for dry hair?
This is one of the most proven home remedies for oily scalp with dry hair.
3. Strawberries and Mayonnaise
- Crush 2-3 big size strawberries and mix with 2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Apply to scalp and leave on for at least 10-20 minutes.
- Mayonnaise nourishes and moisturises your hair and is effective in reversing dryness while the vitamin C in the strawberries help regulate your scalp’s oil production.