Who wants to know how to make natural shampoo at home to get beautiful hair? Ladies, ladies; don’t rush; there’s place for everyone.
If you’re reading this article then you already know the many benefits of a homemade shampoo. For starters, since you make this at home, you know exactly what goes into it, unlike shampoos bought off the shelf. Those come with a later expiry date life, but only because of the crazy amount of chemicals they contain.
And don’t even get us started on the price. You might believe that if you pay more, you will get a more natural, safer and healthier option. But that’s not necessarily true. A homemade shampoo is any day easier on your hair and your pocket too.
How to Make Shampoo at Home
#1 Baking soda shampoo
This is the easiest homemade preparation of shampoo. All you need is:
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (also known as sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 cup of water. Use soft water and avoid heavy or hard water for maximum effectiveness.
- 1 empty shampoo bottle
- Pour the water into the bottle and add the baking soda.
- You can double the proportion depending on how much shampoo you need every time.
- Shake the bottle vigorously and your shampoo is ready.
- To use the shampoo, shake the bottle before use and pour / squirt a little on to your wet hair.
- Massage it in thoroughly and wash it off after a few minutes.
- Make sure you rinse well.
- Leftover soda can build up and cause your hair to become dry and coarse.
- We suggest using this shampoo when you are transitioning from a commercial product to a homemade one, and not keep this is as your regular shampoo.
#2 Egg shampoo
If you have oily or greasy hair, or just want your hair to bounce with health, you can try the egg shampoo. Preparation of egg shampoo is fairly easy as well.
- Blend together two egg yolks and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice (vinegar also works).
- Rub this into your wet hair and scalp, and wash it off with lukewarm or cold water after a few minutes.
- If you worry that your hair might smell, add a few drops of your favourite essential oil into the shampoo.
- Do not use hot water because that has been known to intensify that eggy smell.
Also, check out 10 ways to get shiny, glossier hair with these egg yolk hair pack recipes by Reward Me.
#3 Coconut shampoo
You can make another homemade shampoo for hair using coconut milk. This shampoo contains protein and is excellent for dry or brittle hair. For this you will need:
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, preferably fresh
- 2/3 cup castile soap (You can find this at a medical store or order it online)
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave.
- Add it to the rest of the ingredients already in a container (with a lid) and shake it vigorously (which is why the lid) to mix.
- Your homemade shampoo is ready.
These are some of the easiest homemade shampoo recipes for you to start with. If you cannot manage to make the shampoo at home, we recommend keeping a bottle of Pantene Pro-V Lively Clean Shampoo ready at all times.
Check out a complete hair care guide with amazing hair care tips, hairstyling ideas and DIY hairstyle tutorials here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.