When it comes to dandruff treatment, the first thing that probably comes to mind is Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo. While this is a trusted and proven solution, you could also complement this with another proven home remedy for dandruff that many women swear by: lemon for dandruff.
Why is lemon effective in removal of dandruff?
- It has anti-fungal properties, antioxidants, vitamin C and citric acid that fight dandruff and promote healthy scalp and hair.
- Its acidic nature balances the scalp’s pH level and sheds away dead skin cells.
- Its healing property soothes irritation and reduces itching.
- When combined with different ingredients, lemon transforms into a powerful solution for dandruff.
15 Quick And Easy Ways To Use Lemon For Dandruff
1. Coconut Oil + Fresh Lime
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice to lightly warmed coconut oil, mix well.
- Massage into your scalp and hair.
- Leave for 15 minutes then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Continue for 3-4 weeks for best results.
2. Castor Oil+Coconut Oil+Lemon Juice
- Heat 1 tablespoon each of castor oil and coconut oil indirectly till warm.
- Mix in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply on your scalp using your fingertips while gently massaging in circular motion, on all parts of your scalp and hair
- Cover with a warm moist towel for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
3. Cider Vinegar + Lemon Juice
- Mix 4 tablespoon of cider vinegar with 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon and apply on scalp with a cotton ball.
- After 15 minutes, rinse it off with a mild shampoo.
4. Fenugreek Seeds + Lemon Juice
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried fenugreek (methi) powder to 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply on scalp and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with plain water.
5. Fuller’s Earth + Lemon Juice
- Make a paste of Fuller’s Earth (multani mittee), water and lemon juice and apply on scalp evenly.
- Rinse with water after a few minutes.
- Repeat once a week.
6. Tea Powder + Lemon
- Make a thick tea with ½ cup water and 2 tablespoon of tea powder.
- Cover for a few minutes and strain.
- Add 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice to this and apply on scalp with a cotton ball while warm (check the temperature before applying to prevent burns).
- Rinse with tap water after 15 minutes.
7. Egg + Lemon Juice
- Make a paste of lemon juice and egg and apply evenly on hair.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, wash off thoroughly with water and a mild shampoo.
8. Orange Peel + Lemon
- Make a paste of orange peel and lemon, apply on scalp and leave for 20 minutes.
- Wash off with plain water.
9. Garlic Powder + Lemon Juice
- Make a paste of 2 tablespoons of garlic powder with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Apply on scalp gently massaging it in.
- Leave for 30 minutes then wash with herbal shampoo and cold water.
10. Ginger + Olive Oil + Lemon
- Mix equal quantities of freshly extracted ginger juice, fresh lemon juice and olive oil.
- Gently massage into scalp.
- Rinse off with plain water after 30-45 minutes.
11. Neem + Lemon
- Blend a few neem leaves till a fine paste and stir in the juice of half a lemon.
- Apply on scalp and leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash with shampoo and water.
12. Aloe Vera + Lemon
- Take freshly extracted aloe vera and lemon juice and mix well.
- Apply on the scalp; if you experience a burning sensation, add 1 tablespoon of yogurt or olive oil to the mix.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo after an hour.
- Do this treatment sparingly as it could lighten the hair colour.
13. Milk + Black Pepper + Lemon
- To 1/2 cup of milk, mix 10 grams of black pepper powder and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Apply on scalp and rinse off with water after an hour.
14. Sandalwood +Lemon
- Mix equal quantities of sandalwood oil and fresh lemon juice.
- Apply on the scalp and hair, massaging it gently.
- Shampoo your hair after an hour.
15. Cucumber + Lemon
- Peel 1 lemon and 1 cucumber.
- Blend to a fine paste.
- Massage in scalp and wash off after 30 minutes.
Before you try any of these remedies, consult your dermatologist. Do a patch test to ensure against any irritation or discomfort and discontinue immediately if any signs. Avoid usage if any open wounds and ensure that the mixtures does not get into your eyes. Lemon juice can be diluted if skin is sensitive.
Read other simple yet effective home remedies for dandruff using natural ingredients.
Read more hair care tips at Reward Me.
Click for more beauty tips here.