Henna is one of the best hair beauty ingredients that India has shared with the rest of the world. Since years, if not centuries, women have used the power of this natural compound to strengthen, nourish and beautify their tresses. Back then, they would use the leaves of henna for hair treatment; the modern woman use henna powder for hair therapy.
Among the most commonly known benefits of henna for hair is that it is a natural hair colouring agent and conditioner. But do you know of the many other reasons you should seriously consider for using henna powder in your beauty regime?
Is Henna (Mehndi) Good For Your Hair? - 12 Hair Care Benefits of Henna
#1 Henna improves hair growth
The natural properties of henna promote hair growth. The powder can be used to create an essential oil that nourishes and encourages growth.
- Boil 250 ml gingili oil until it starts to smoke.
- Add 5 cups henna powder to the oil and let it boil for 5-6 minutes.
- You can apply this essential oil to your hair 2-3 times a week.
#2 It reduces hair fall
The combination of henna powder and mustard oil is an excellent remedy for hair fall.
- Boil 250 ml mustard oil.
- Add a few henna leaves and continue boiling.
- Use the oil to massage your hair and scalp 2-3 times a week.
- Use up the oil within a month.
#3 How to Apply Henna on Hair for Deep Conditioning
Henna is a deep conditioner that leaves your hair feeling absolutely gorgeous.
- Make a regular tea decoction and let it cool.
- Mix enough henna powder till it forms a thick paste.
- Add 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- After 30 minutes, add 2 tablespoons curd.
- Now apply this paste to your hair.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo after an hour.
#4 Mehendi prevents dandruff
Using henna regularly on your hair cures dandruff and prevents it from coming back.
- Soak methi seeds in water overnight and grind the next morning.
- Add henna and mustard oil.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and hair.
- Rinse it off after 30 minutes with your regular shampoo. Don’t forget to condition your hair.
#5 Henna controls scalp itchiness
Henna has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that cool and soothe your scalp. This controls scalp itching.
- Grind a cup of henna leaves, half a cup of neem leaves and half a cup of tulsi leaves with water.
- Apply the paste on your hair and wash off after an hour.
#6 It is a natural hair dye
If you are reluctant to use chemicals on your scalp but want to cover greys, henna is a natural alternative.
- Add egg and honey to the powder and soak the mixture in an iron vessel for a deeper, richer colour.
- Remember not to apply henna on your scalp while colouring as this can dry it out.
- Oil your hair adequately afterwards to prevent drying.
If you want a non-egg version of this henna dye, follow the steps given below:
How to Prepare Henna (Mehendi) Hair Color Pack
- Take henna powder in a bowl
- Sift this henna to ensure no lumps are present in the henna taken to apply on the hair
- Add a little black tea water in this henna
- And let it soak for over 6-8 hours
- Apply this paste on hair and wash it off with water (no shampoo or conditioner)
- Take a little indigo powder and add a little warm water to get a thick consistency
- Apply this paste on the hair and wash it off after 30 minutes
- Use a shampoo and a conditioner after 1-2 days of this entire process to get a deep black colour
#7 It repairs splits ends
Dry and damaged hair is prone to split ends, which worsen the situation. Henna breaks this vicious cycle and gives you deeply conditioned and nourished hair.
- Make a paste of henna powder, 2-3 teaspoonful avocado oil and an egg.
- Add a little water if it seems too thick.
- Apply this to your hair, and try and get every strand covered.
- Keep it on for at least 2 hours.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
#8 It maintains balance and keeps scalp clean
Henna retains the natural acid-alkaline balance on your scalp. It removes dirt and oil without messing this balance, unlike chemical-based products.
#9 It makes your hair thick and lustrous
Regular use of henna in your hair not only prevents hair fall, but you can use henna for hair growth and get locks that are healthy, thick and lustrous.
- Soak henna in black tea overnight
- Add a little lemon juice to this henna pack
- You can even add an egg or a little curd to this mixture
- Apply this paste for 20 minutes before washing it off
- This hair pack will give you shiny hair instantly!
#10 It makes your hair shiny, soft and manageable
Henna’s nourishing properties make it perfect to turn dry, damaged and unhealthy hair into soft, shiny and manageable locks.
- Soak henna in water overnight. It should have a thick paste consistency
- Add mashed banana to this paste in the morning
- This henna banana conditioner can replace your regular conditioner
- Apply the mixture to your hair and wash it off after 5 minutes with cold water
- This hair pack makes your hair manageable!
#11 It can be used for Oily Scalp
This overnight Multani mitti and henna hair pack ensures that your oily scalp does not cause any hair fall
- Mix Multani mitti and henna with some water. It should have a paste consistency
- Apply this hair mask and wrap it with a towel
- Keep this overnight
- Wash the hair pack in the morning with a mild shampoo, ideally a sulphate-free one!
#12 Mehendi for Dry Hair
Warm coconut milk and add a few tablespoons of henna to it along with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Remember the quantity of henna needs to be double of olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients to a thick consistency
- Apply this hair pack evenly on your hair and scalp.
- Keep it for an hour and then wash your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner
A word of caution. Make sure you purchase organic or authentic henna. The market is flooded with products that claim to be natural but are filled with chemicals. Also remember to use a mild shampoo and conditioner like Pantene Pro-V Silky Smooth Care Shampoo and Conditioner.
Check out a complete hair care guide with amazing hair care tips, hairstyling ideas and DIY hairstyle tutorials here.
Get complete beauty tips at Reward Me.