10 Amazing Benefits of Onions for Hair
Rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties, the use of onion for hair truly helps keeps hair loss at bay. Here are 10 amazing ways your hair can benefit from using onions:
- They are very good at hair follicle nourishment and help restore lost nutrients to your scalp.
- They are rich in Sulphur, which is known to minimize breakage and thinning.
- They have potent anti-bacterial properties and help fight infections of the scalp. This in turn helps reduce hair fall as scalp infections can cause massive loss of hair.
- They are naturally potent antioxidants, which is why they help reverse the effects of premature greying.
- This vegetable lends a healthy shine to hair, which can become permanent when used regularly.
- Research has found that they have the ability to prevent neck and head cancer.
- They also make your hair uninhabitable for lice.
- Add volume by using onion juice for hair.
- They can be used to fight dandruff owing to their rich anti-bacterial properties.
- They improve blood circulation which is another way they contribute to hair growth.
Learn How to Make Onion Juice at Home
- Peel the onions and cut them in 4 parts
- Blend these pieces in a juicer/grinder
- Add a little water and then filter the juice using a muslin cloth.
- This will ensure that no onion chunks are stuck in your hair while you use the juice.
Learn How To Use Onion Juice for Hair Growth
- Give your scalp a good application of onion juice
- Using your fingers, gently massage it into your scalp using circular movements
- Let it sit for approx. one hour
- Rinse it off with a mild shampoo with a nice fragrance to get rid of the pungent smell of onions. Pantene Pro-V Silky Smooth Care shampoo and conditioner will cleanse your hair gently and also nourish it.
- Do this often to witness the benefits. You can actually try this once a week for 2 months to see some visible difference.
You can also add the benefits of onions and some other ingredient to get stronger, glossier hair!
4 Homemade Onion Juice Hair Packs for Stronger, Healthier Hair
#1 Honey and Onion Juice Hair Pack For Hair Growth
- Take quarter cup onion juice
- Mix a tablespoon of honey in this juice
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair roots
- Wash it after 30 mins with a mild shampoo
#2 Olive Oil and Onion Juice Hair Massage for Hair Growth
Olive oil is a great oil for hair massages as it penetrates your scalp and nourishes it readily. Olive oil also has anti-dandruff properties and hence is an added bonus!
- Take 3 tablespoons of onion juice
- Add 1 and half tablespoons of olive oil in it
- Massage this mixture in your scalp in circular motions
- Wash this off with a mild shampoo after 2 hours
- Do this regularly to get stronger, dandruff-free hair!
#3 Onion and Curry Leaves Hair Mask
Curry leaves is known for its many hair benefits. It helps strengthen hair, prevents greying and boosts hair health.
- Blend fresh curry leaves in a paste
- Add 2 tablespoons of onion juice in this curry paste
- Apply this hair pack on your scalp
- Wash it off with mild shampoo after an hour
#4 Yogurt and Onion Hair Pack for Stronger Hair
Yogurt helps fight hair fall and when added with onion juice, helps in the hair growth process.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of yogurt and fresh onion juice in a bowl.
- Apply this hair mask on your scalp
- Wash this mixture off with a mild shampoo after an hour
Tips To Remember While Using Onion Juice:
- Always filter the juice made so as to avoid flaky onion particles in your hair. Removing these flakes from the hair is going to be a painful task. So better to filter the juice with a muslin cloth before applying it on the scalp.
- Always use mild shampoos to wash onion juice from your hair.
- You can garlic, apple cider vinegar to get added benefits of these ingredients
- If you can’t stand the pungent smell, you can add a few drops of any of your favorite essential oils in the juice.
- Always perform a patch test before using onion juice to prevent any allergic reactions
After getting so much information related to hair care while using onion juice, you must be wondering about some few basic questions. Read on to learn the answers to the most frequently asked questions:
#1 Can Onion Juice Be Left On Hair Overnight
This depends on the level of baldness experienced by the user. You can apply onion juice on hair in the night and wash it off in the evening, when it has a little diluted Sulphur content, as it can cause scalp irritation. Maybe you can add a little onion juice to castor oil and leave it on overnight, but we recommend the standard DIY methods which keeps onion juice on the hair, for not more than 30 minutes.
#2 How Often Should I Use Onion Juice For Hair Growth
You can start with once a week and gradually decrease the application, once you see visible changes (you should be able to see changes within 1.5 months). If you can’t see changes within 2-3 months, it could be an irreversible hair loss and you could visit a doctor for medical treatment of hair loss.
#3 How Long Does Onion Juice Last In the Fridge
It is recommended to use fresh onion juice on every application. However, if you wish to store it in the refrigerator, you can freeze the juice up to 5 days.
#4 Does Onion Juice for Hair Growth Have Any Side Effects
No it does not, however, we suggest a patch test before taking up this DIY for skin irritation testing.
#5 How to Remove the Smell of Onion from Your Hair
- You can wash your hair with a citrus fruit based shampoo (preferably lemon) to get rid of the awful onion-y smell
- You can also rinse your hair with infused water. To make infused water boil rosemary and mint leaves in a glass of water and use it as a last hair rinse after it cools down
- You can also add a little lemon juice in onion juice to reduce the pungent smell of onions